Essential oils are safe when properly used, but they are also concentrated and potent, so it’s wise to take some precautions. Here are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using essential oils:
- Always dilute essential oils before applying to the skin.
- When trying out a new essential oil, it’s a good idea to do a patch test first, especially if you have sensitive skin or allergies. Mix one drop of the essential oil you’re testing into a tsp of base oil and dab a tiny amount on the inside of the arm or wrist area. Wait 24 hours to ensure no redness or irritation occurs.
- If you are pregnant or nursing, consult with your doctor before using essential oils.
- Keep essential oils out of reach of children and pets.
- Keep essential oils away from your eyes.
- Essential oils are flammable — if a spill occurs, wipe up carefully. Be careful around furniture, as undiluted essential oils can damage varnished surfaces.
- Some citrus oils are photosensitizing – do not use before exposure to sunlight or tanning beds.
- Do not use essential oils internally, unless under the supervision of a doctor or qualified practitioner. Essential oils are concentrated substances, and could be dangerous if ingested. Using the oils in massage or inhalation is safer and very effective.
Click here to browse our catalog of essential oils .. To read more about safety and dilution rates click here.
Disclaimer: The information provided here is for educational purposes only, and not intended to treat, prescribe, cure, or diagnose any disease or condition. This information is not intended as a substitute for consulting with your physician or other health care provider. Dreaming Earth Botanicals is not responsible for any adverse effects or conseque nces resulting from the use of any of the suggestions, preparations, or procedures discussed. All matters pertaining to your physical health should be supervised by a health ca re professional. Keep all aromatherapy products out of reach of children.