Q: I have never utilized aromatherapy but would like to lead a guided meditation using the sense of smell to lead a group through seven aspects of consciousness. I would like to describe them below, and see if you can suggest some aromas and sources of smell that could be passed around from person to person in a group as we go through this experience. If you have any products, for example in your starter kit that would fit the bill for each of the following seven things, please point them out to me.
1. Loving kindness
2. Strength or Courage
3. Beauty or Balance or Harmony
4. Passion or Eternity
5. Victory or Order
6. Foundation or Changing Moods
7. The Divine Presence in Everyday Life.
A: Hello R., What a great idea. Below are some thoughts. Essential Oils have a powerful effect on states of consciousness. There are many ways to diffuse them into the room - let us know if you want some suggestions. You will get the best results if your participants have a break between the presentation of each blend - leave the room and air it out - otherwise, the scents will all just start blending together and some people may get headaches. If you cannot structure for breaks, you may want to come up with one blend to use throughout.
I love to do this kind of stuff and will be glad to work with you - we can customize a starter kit or do blends for you - whatever you want. Also, feel free to call - I can probably get a better feel for your needs and give you more information if we talk.
Also, to read more about how essential oils can affect our emotional and spiritual states, click on our article, Aromatherapy and Emotions.
Here are some ideas:
1. Loving Kindness - our Heart Chakra Blend, or a combination using Roman Chamomile, Lavender, Rose or Cypress.
2. Strength or Courage - a blend of Cardamom, Frankincense and Cedarwood Atlas.
3. Beauty or Balance or Harmony - a blend of Lavender, Bergamot & Ylang Ylang (also Geranium, Rose, Clary Sage & Mandarin).
4. Passion or Eternity - Rose, Jasmine, Ylang Ylang, Clove & Bay.
5. Victory or Order - Cedarwood, Sweet Orange, Rosemary (small amount).
6. Foundation or Changing Moods - Cedarwood, Vetiver, Ginger, Petitgrain.
7. The Divine Presence in Everyday Life - Neroli, Frankincense, Cedarwood, Juniper or our Crown Chakra Blend.