Make Your Own Aromatherapy Spritzers
One of our favorite ways to use aromatherapy is in room sprays, because (a) they’re SO easy to make and (b) they can change the mood/aroma/of a room in minutes. They’re also very economical, since you need just a few drops of essential oil per bottle of spritzer.
Some Basic Principles:
You can vary the concentration (i.e. the number of drops of essential oil) based on what you’re trying to achieve. For example, if you want a facial spray, be sure and keep the concentration low, at around 5-6 drops per 4 ounce bottle. For body sprays, that amount can be increased to 15-30 drops, and for aromatherapy room sprays, you can go as high as 60-80 drops of essential oil per four ounces. Some sources recommend higher concentrations for room sprays, but we recommend starting at a lower concentration and adding if needed.
Here’s what you’ll need:
• 4 oz spritzer bottles (we’ll be giving recipes for 4 ounce bottles, but obviously if you have larger bottles adjust amounts accordingly)
• 3.5 ounces distilled water
• 3 tsp grain alcohol or vodka (if you’d rather, you can use witch hazel) to help disperse the essential oils and prolong the fragrance.
• Essential Oils of your choice (see blends below for ideas)
• A small notebook–I strongly recommend you keep notes of what you do. Often times, when dabbling, you’ll fall in love with a particular concoction and have only the vaguest idea of what oils you combined. This is a nice habit to get into whenever you work with essential oils and blends.
Choosing your Essential Oils :
The sky’s the limit on choosing essential oils you’d like to combine. You should decide, firstly, on your purpose. Is it a room deodorizer? Linen spray? Are you trying to create a specific mood?
Here are some ideas to get you started:
(a great spritzer when you want to air out a musty, closed up space)
Disinfectant Room Spray
- 10 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops Bergamot essential oil
- 3 drops Clary Sage essential oil
- 2 drops Frankincense essential oil
To Make the Aromatherapy Spray:
- Measure out the distilled water and add your alcohol, if using.
- Then add your drops of essential oils and shake well to blend.
- Let your creations sit for at least 24 hours to allow the oils to deepen.
- Shake well before using.
Enjoy experimenting with making these wonderful aromatherapy spritzers, and let us know your personal favorites. We’d love to share your recipes with other readers.
Cautions: As with any essential oil usage, educate yourself about the properties of oils before using, and avoid during pregnancy, around young children and with those who have asthma. Some essential oils can discolor upholstery and fabrics, so be careful where you spritz.